Why we started Undeveloper Academy
I founded Undeveloper in 2014 after seeing and hearing about far too many startup stories ending in frustration and disappointment when founders discovered that simply hiring technical staff is only the beginning of the journey to building an awesome product — not the end.
Since then, I've been helping startups launch, grow and scale; and worked with some amazing people and businesses along the way.
In that time, I've noticed that the problem of supporting tech professionals in a job market where increasingly less experienced people are being asked to take on more and more responsibility has reached a point where something urgently needs to be done about it.
I'm really excited to be launching Undeveloper_ Academy in 2022, which blends individual and group-based Coaching, Mentoring and Tech supervision to deliver what we believe to be the first accredited course specifically aimed towards helping tech professionals take control of their professional lives.
Stats about software developers specifically are easy to come by, but we believe that all tech roles are experiencing similar problems.
- Between 2016 and 2026, the number of software engineers needed by the market is expected to increase by 24%
- Half of software developers have less than 5 years of experience
- 97% of people with a mentor say they find them valuable, but 85% of people do not have a mentor
- Employees who received mentoring were promoted 5 times more often than those who didn't
- 89% of those who have been mentored will go on to mentor others
What all this adds up to for employers is
- Upward pressure on wages
- Downward pressure on experience level
- Rushed hiring processes, increasing the risk of bad hires and
- Employees who need more support than ever
Our personal development solutions respond to these pressures by allowing employers to hire people with less experience and provide them with the support they need to stand the best chances of succeeding. Along the way, we also want to create a recognised standard for what good looks like in the industry, so that future generations of tech professionals can take pride in themselves and the quality of their work.
In this way, we help you to get back to the basics of Hiring, Developing and Retaining your tech professionals.
Find out more
If any of this rings a bell for you, we'd love to hear from you to explain more about how our Academy programme as well as our standalone Coaching or Consultancy services might be able to help.